Writing Rygel plugins

While I had been trying my best to make sure writing Rygel plugins is easier than frying eggs before my FOSDEM presentation, I was quite disappointed about how the presentation actually went. I thought I simply lost everyone in there by the end of th presentation and didn't get to make a very good impression. But seems the ease of writing Rygel plugins didn't go unnoticed in that presentation after all since I happen to catch the attention of at least one developer, Jens Georg who is working on two plugins for Rygel and you can follow the progress on his blog.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Would something like a avahi plugin make sense for you?
I don't really know what has to be done with avahi on the server side. Have to check that.
I haven't tried rygel yet. But maybe it is helpful to make it discoverable via avahi.
Guess I will need some bindings first.
I like your code
palgo
zeenix said…
But maybe it is helpful to make it discoverable via avahi.

TBH, I don't think that is worth it since Rygel will only be used with UPnP control points and all of them use SSDP since that is part of UPnP protocols set.

If you are looking for some ideas on plugins: http://live.gnome.org/SummerOfCode2009/Ideas
Anonymous said…
What type of service that Rygel implements should be discoverable via Avahi? What should that be good for?
Anonymous said…
Initial thought was that a media player could have a avahi client plugin and discover the media server over the local network. I just didn't know this is done via ssdp. My knowledge of upnp is very small.
palgo

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to the virtual world!

clutter-gst

zbus and Implementing Async Rust API